- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 ½ TBS of cold butter
- 2 ½ TBS Caster sugar (superfine granulated sugar)
- ½ cup sultana raisins
- scant 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- granulated sugar to sprinkle plus flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Butter a large baking tray. Alternately line it with greaseproof paper. Measure the flour into a bowl along with the baking powder. (Pour the flour in from up high to aerate it.) Whisk together well.
- Drop in the cold butter in bits. Using your fingertips rub the butter in quickly until the mixture resembles fine dry breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and raisins. Beat the eggs. Remove and set 2 TBS aside.
- Add a scant 1/2 cup of the milk to the eggs and beat well together. Stir this into the flour mixture. Mix everything together with the rounded end of a butter knife to form a soft but slightly tacky dough. Only add the remainder of the milk if your dough is too dry and you want to absorb any dry bits in the bowl. The dough should NOT be too wet, but not too dry either.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently a couple of times to bring well together.
- Gently pat out to a 1-inch thickness. Using a sharp round 3-inch cutter, stamp out rounds, using a direct up and down motion. Do not twist the cutter.
- Place the cut-out scones an inch or so apart on the baking sheet. Gather any trimmings together and repeat until you have 10 scones. Brush the tops of the scones with the reserved beaten egg and sprinkle with a bit of granulated sugar. Do not let the egg drip down the sides. This will hamper the rise. Bake for about 10 minutes, until risen and golden on top and bottoms. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- These are best eaten on the day; however, any leftovers can be frozen for several months.
You can make your own self-raising flour by adding 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of salt to every cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 226 per scone, without toppings