You will need:
- 1 (15 ¼ ounce) chocolate cake mix
- The ingredients required as per box instructions
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Make the cake according to the package directions, baking it in a 9 by 15 inch baking pan. Let cool completely.
2. To make the filling, whisk the flour into the half and half in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it becomes very thick. This will take a few minutes. Allow to cool completely.
3. Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla together for the filling until fluffy. Beat in the cooled flour mixture thoroughly until light and fluffy. Spread this mixture onto the cooled cake.
4. In a large bowl, beat together powdered sugar, butter, and melted chocolate until smooth. Add milk, boiling water and vanilla extract and beat for about five minutes until very fluffy. Spread icing over cream filling.
5. Place in the refrigerator to set before cutting into squares to serve. Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Additional Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Calories: 559