This pistachio cream pie is a type of dessert that is made with pistachio pudding, whipped cream, cream cheese, and sometimes other ingredients like pineapple, marshmallows, or coconut. It is usually served in a graham cracker or Oreo crust, and can be topped with more whipped cream, cherries, or crushed pistachios.
It is a no-bake pie that is easy to make and has a light green color and a nutty flavor. Some people enjoy it for St. Patrick’s Day or other occasions.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It is a no-bake pie, which means you do not need to use an oven or a stove to make it. You only need to mix the ingredients, pour them into a crust, and refrigerate until set.
- It has a light green color, which comes from the pistachio pudding mix. This gives it a festive and fun appearance, especially for occasions like St. Patrick’s Day or springtime. You can also add some food coloring to make it more vibrant if you like.
- It has a crunchy and crumbly crust, which comes from the graham cracker or Oreo crumbs. Some recipes also add some chopped pistachios to the crust and the topping for extra crunch and flavor.
How to Properly Store It?
- If you are refrigerating the pie, cover the top with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. This will prevent the pie from drying out or absorbing odors from the fridge.
- If you are freezing the pie, freeze it without the whipped cream topping for best results. To freeze, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap and then foil before transferring it to a freezer-safe ziploc bag.
There are other variations of pistachio cream pie. The following are the most common:
- Add Chocolate. It is a variation that adds some chocolate flavor to the pistachio cream pie by using an Oreo crust and adding some chocolate chips or shavings to the filling or the topping.
It is also known as a grasshopper pie, because of the green and brown colors.
- Add Coconut. It is a variation that adds some coconut flavor and texture to the pistachio cream pie by mixing some shredded coconut into the filling and sprinkling some toasted coconut on top. It is a tropical twist on the classic pistachio pie that is sure to please.
- Add Pineapple. It is a variation that adds some pineapple flavor and sweetness to the pistachio cream pie by folding in some crushed pineapple and its juice into the filling. It also adds some mini marshmallows for extra fluffiness.
It is a refreshing and fruity pie that is perfect for summer.
No-bake Pistachio Cream PieNo-bake
- 1 C. Mini marshmallows
- 8 oz. Cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- ¾ oz. Pistachio Jello instant pudding mix
- Prepare graham cracker pie crust
- 20 oz. Crushed pineapple in 100% juice
- 1 C. Heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries
- ½ C. Chopped pistachios
- ¼ C. Powdered sugar
- Step 1: Blend together the cream cheese and pistachio pudding mix until well combined.
- Step 2: Beat in the crushed pineapple including the juice.
- Step 3: Fold in the cool whip and mini marshmallows until well combined.
- Step 4: Spread the mixture into the prepared pie crust, and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Step 5: If using the optional topping, blend together the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks have formed.
- Step 6: Pipe the whipped cream onto the top of the pie, and garnish with pistachios and cherries if desired.
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.