If you are looking for a cozy and hearty meal that is easy to cook yet delicious to eat, the Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe is perhaps for you.
A dish that is perfect to cook even on your busy days, green chile chicken and rice casserole is a cheesy and creamy meat and vegetable soup that needs a few, simple ingredients only. What’s fun about it is that you can serve and partner it with chips, tortillas, and salsa.
Ready to try it? Here’s an easy recipe for you.
How to Properly Store It:
Proper storage is crucial to prevent meat and vegetable dishes such as slow cooker green chile chicken and rice casserole from spoilage. Here’s a simple guide to help you.
Before storing the dish away, allow it to cool completely first. Do not leave it at room temperature for more than two hours, however. Doing so can promote bacterial growth and spoilage.
Once it is completely cooled, transfer the dish to an airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. Then put it inside the fridge for up to five days. If you want to extend its shelf life for up to three months, freeze it for up to three months instead.
There are a lot of alternative ingredients that you can use to replace primary ingredients for slow cooker green chile chicken and rice casserole’s ingredients. Depending on availability a d budget, you can use the following:
Replace cheddar cheese. You can replace cheddar cheese with other types of cheese. You may also use vegan cheese or omit the cheese altogether.
Replace sour cream. Try using other types of soup like cream of celery, cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken. You can also use homemade cream of chicken soup or a dairy-free alternative.
Use a different type of enchilada sauce. Use red or green enchilada sauce instead. Homemade enchilada sauce works too. You can replace it with salsa verde, tomatillo sauce, or green taco sauce too.
Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- 1 ½ lbs. Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 oz. Can green chiles
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 19 oz. Can green enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 C. Sour cream
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- 2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 3 C. Cooked white rice
- ¼ C. Green onions chopped
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, onion powder, salt, pepper, green chiles, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, and use the tines of two forks to shred it well.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, and mix in the sour cream, green onion and ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Mix in the rice, and sprinkle on the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.