- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) butterbeans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 small red, orange or yellow sweet bell peppers, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
- 1 – 2 TBS Chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup of dairy sour cream
- 3 TBS chunky tomato salsa
- 4 TBS grated Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Pour the can of tomatoes into a large (4 QT) saucepan, without draining. Chop them up coarsely with a spoon.
Stir in all the beans, the tomato sauce, the bell peppers, the chili pepper, the chili powder, cumin, black pepper and season to taste with salt.
Stir well together and then place on the hob and heat to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Leave to simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender.
When you are ready to serve combine the sour cream and salsa together in a small bowl. Ladle the chili into heated bowls and sprinkle with the Jack cheese and fresh cilantro. Pass the sour cream mixture at the table for spooning on top.
Serve hot with crackers on the side.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: VegetarianDiet
- Calories: 280