- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole blanched almonds
- red icing (in tub or tube)
1. Preheat the oven to 325*F. Line several large baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in the egg, salt, and extracts. Stir in the flour just to combine.
3. Shape tablespoonfuls of the dough into finger shapes, about 2 inches in length, and creating a bit of a knobbly knuckle about 1/3 of the way down. Place onto the baking sheets.
4. Press one almond firmly into the upper third end of each “finger” to resemble a fingernail. Using a sharp knife, gently score some slashes over the knuckle to make wrinkles.
5 Bake in the heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes.
6. Carefully remove the “fingernails” and apply some icing onto the nail bed, then put the fingernail back in place. Place onto wire racks to cool completely and allow the icing to set.
The nuts will be quite warm when you are removing them, but if you allow them to cool completely, they won’t be moved easily, so it is best you do this while they are still quite warm.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Additional Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Calories: 67 per finger, excluding icing