The recipe I wanted to share with you today is a fabulous recipe for Big Mac Sliders. Sliders are miniature versions of full-sized sandwiches, filled and baked in an oven until they are hot and delicious! Everyone loves sliders! They are perfect for game nights, teen parties, or even enjoyed as a simple weeknight supper. In our house, they always go down a real treat.
Big Mac Sliders are especially delicious and a wonderful riff on one of our favorite fast-food burgers. They are filled with ground steak, onions, pickles, cheese, and a homemade special sauce. This is all packed into soft buns, which are brushed with butter and sprinkled with sesame seeds, (Or not as you prefer!) and then baked until they become incredibly scrumptiously impossible to resist!
If anything, I like these sliders better than any burger you can buy when you are out and about! These are fabulously tasty and help turn any occasion, be it supper, or a get-together with friends, into a full-on party in your mouth! For something lighter and bigger, try these cajun chicken burgers too. You can even mix and match!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BIG MAC SLIDERS
I will put my hand up right off the bat and say that I was unable to get the buns I normally use for these delicious hot sandwiches on the day I made these. The buns I used were a tad bit larger but I can assure you that they tasted every bit as delicious going down! There is nothing complicated about these. They are pretty fabulous whether you enjoy them in a small bun or a larger one! Here is what you will need.
|INGREDIENTS For the special sauce:|
|½ cup good quality mayonnaise|
|2 TBS tomato ketchup|
|2 TBS sweet pickle relish|
|1 TBS minced onion|
|1 tsp white vinegar|
|1 tsp sugar|
|INGREDIENTS For the sliders:|
|2 pounds lean ground steak|
|1 medium onion, peeled and minced|
|½ tsp seasoned salt|
|Black pepper to taste|
|12 slider buns|
|8 slices American style cheese|
|1 cup dill pickle slices|
|2 cups shredded lettuce|
|chopped onion to sprinkle inside the finished sliders|
|Tomato ketchup and American mustard (optional)|
|INGREDIENTS To Finish:|
|Melted butter to brush|
|Sesame Seeds to sprinkle|
HINTS & TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST BIG MAC SLIDERS
Follow my hints and tips to make the best sliders ever!
- Read through the recipe several times before beginning. This will help to familiarise you with any ingredients or equipment/tools needed. It also gives you time to pick up anything you might be missing.
- Assemble all of the ingredients you need before beginning. This will help to prevent you from leaving out any ingredients that might be integral to the recipe.
- You can actually save time on the day you want to serve these by preparing the special sauce and the browned beef the day before. Just reheat the meat in the microwave before filling your buns when you are ready to proceed.
- Anyone who doesn’t like processed cheese can use proper Cheddar if they wish. I confess we would rather have cheddar than processed cheese slices. Today I used a mixture of both.
- I like to use ground steak for these which I get from the butcher. He grinds it fresh for me. It is nice and lean and has a beautiful flavor. Often when you buy ground meat from the grocery shops, the meat in one package will come from several or many animals. When I buy ground steak from the butcher I can be sure that it came from one animal only. I also think it tastes a whole lot better and there is very little fat. I hate paying for fat and water which are only going to be drained away.
- Some people put their lettuce on before baking the sliders, which results in soggy lettuce. I prefer to put it on just before serving them.
- You can buy your buns with the sesame seeds already on top or leave the sesame seeds off altogether if you wish. In either case, do brush some melted butter over top for additional flavor.
HOW TO MAKE BIG MAC SLIDERS
You are going to love how quick and easy these are to make.
First, make the special sauce by combining all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350*F and butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Peel and chop your onions.
Brown the ground beef, along with the onion, seasoned salt, and black pepper over medium heat. Cook until the onions have softened and the beef is no longer pink. Drain well and set aside. (If you use ground steak there shouldn’t be anything to drain.)
Keeping the rolls connected, carefully slice them horizontally through the middle using a sharp serrated knife. Place the bottom halves of the rolls in the baking dish.
Layer as follows. Half the special sauce, half the ground beef/onion mixture, the sliced cheese, the remaining ground beef mixture, and finally the pickles. Drizzle with the remaining special sauce.
Place the top halves of the rolls on top, cut side down. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cut into individual sliders and serve. Pass the lettuce and raw chopped onion for people to place in their own sliders. Put out the condiments and enjoy!
You will find that these delicious hot sandwiches are super easy to make, and quick as well, especially if you cook the beef and make the special sauce ahead of time. That makes them perfect for entertaining and a great way to feed a lot of people without you having to spend hours in the kitchen and missing out on all the fun that’s happening in the other room!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BIG MAC SLIDERS
If you are serving these at a party or get-together make sure you have plenty of bowls filled with crunchy munchies available to serve alongside. Funyuns, potato chips and dip, Cheetos, nacho chips, Chex mix, pretzels, etc. They all go very well and are really fun to eat.
If you are serving these as a meal, however, you will want to serve something a lot more substantial on the side. Coleslaw and potato salad go very well and are very popular in our house! You could also do oven-roasted French fries!
The important thing is to keep things simple both for yourself and for the people around your table! I don’t put any condiments on the sliders themselves, with the exception of the special sauce, so you may want to have some extra condiments ready to use such as Ketchup and Mustard, and of course, chopped raw onion and shredded lettuce!
On the day we enjoyed these, I served them simply with our favourite potato chips.
What I love most about these lush burgers is the ease and speed at which I can throw them together. I have seen them done with the meat mixture being baked as a whole pan-sized burger that is simply laid out on the bun bottoms or even two pan-sized burgers. I much prefer this way of doing them. That way you can work in two layers of meat with the cheese in the middle as the glue that holds them together.
If you wanted to you could also prepare some thinly sliced tomatoes to be added at the table as and how people enjoy them. Just lay the extras out in bowls or on a tray and let people help themselves!
One thing is for sure. Your family and friends are going to really enjoy these. These are destined to become real family favourites. A bit indulgent perhaps, but what a wonderfully delicious way to go! Make sure to make one of your own. You will surely love it as I did. Perhaps, it will also be one of your favorites. So, what are you waiting for? You can modify the dish according to how you want it to taste. It may be simple to make yet it will taste more than you expect.Print
Big Mac Sliders Recipe
A simple way to make a whole bunch of tasty slider burgers, similar to those famous ones we enjoy at one of our favourite restaurants!
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
For the special sauce:
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 TBS tomato ketchup
- 2 TBS sweet pickle relish
- 1 TBS minced onion
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch salt
For the sliders:
- 2 pounds lean ground steak
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 12 slider buns
- 8 slices American style cheese
- 1 cup dill pickle slices
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Finely chopped raw onion (optional)
- Tomato ketchup and American mustard (optional)
- Melted butter to brush
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- First make the special sauce by combining all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F and butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Brown the ground beef, along with the onion, seasoned salt, and black pepper over medium heat. Cook until the onions have softened and the beef is golden. Drain well and set aside.
- Keeping the rolls connected, carefully slice them horizontally through the middle using a sharp serrated knife. Place the bottom halves of the rolls in the baking dish.
- Layer as follows. Half the special sauce, half the ground beef/onion mixture, the sliced cheese, the remaining ground beef mixture and finally the pickles. Drizzle with the remaining special sauce.
- Place the top halves of the rolls on top, cut side down. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cut into individual sliders and serve. Pass the lettuce and raw chopped onion for people to place in their own sliders. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Calories: 271
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.