I wanted to share a tasty Buffalo Chicken Wrap recipe with you today that is a real favourite in our home! The whole world, it seems, is in love with wrap sandwiches, and really, who can blame them. Wraps are a delicious version of a sandwich which uses a flat bread (generally a soft wheat tortilla) rather than sliced bread.
Whereas you will place the sandwich filling between two slices of bread, with a wrap you roll the filling up inside. They can be a lot less messy to eat than a sandwich which makes them ideal for sandwiches on the go! Pliable, foldable, portable, and handheld, they make the ideal lunch option!
This incredibly delicious Buffalo Chicken Wrap Recipe incorporate all of the flavours of your favourite Buffalo Chicken. This wrap sandwich is not only wonderfully tasty but is filled with a fabulous variety of textures and colours. I like to use crisp vegetables, rich crumbled cheese, a creamy and cooling dressing along with the traditional spicy buffalo sauce!
These wraps are also a great way to use up leftover roast chicken or some of that rotisserie chicken you picked up on your way home from work. You can also use grilled chicken in these, so as you can see they are quite adaptable!
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAP RECIPE
You will only need a few basic simple ingredients to make these fun, fresh and delicious sandwich wraps!
|Medium sized flour tortillas
|Shredded or diced cooked chicken (You can use leftover roast, rotisserie, or grilled chicken)
|Shredded romaine lettuce
|Chopped red onions
|Chopped cherry tomatoes
|Readymade Blue Cheese or Ranch salad dressing
|Crumbled blue cheese, or grated cheddar cheese
HINTS & TIPS TO HELP YOU MAKE THE BEST BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAPS
If you follow my sure-fire hints and tips you will be rewarded with some of the tastiest Buffalo Chicken Wraps you can make at home!
- Read through the recipe several times before beginning to prepare the wraps. This will help to familiarise you with any steps required and any ingredients needed prior to starting. There is nothing more frustrating than to get halfway through a recipe only to discover that you are missing a vital ingredient.
- Assemble all of your ingredients and equipment together before starting. This will also help to prevent you from leaving anything out by accident.
- I like to shred my chicken for these. Simply put your chicken into a bowl and, using two forks, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces. Shredding your chicken adds extra interest to the sandwich, but feel free to cube it if you wish. Just make sure everything is bite-sized and easy to eat.
- I use a ready-made Buffalo sauce, but if you are unable to find any you can create an adequate substitute by combining 1/3 cup of hot sauce together with 2 TBS of melted butter.
- Do not be tempted to use anything other than a soft wheat tortilla and use the freshest tortillas that you can. Corn tortillas are far too stiff to roll, and stale tortillas tend to tear and rip when rolling.
- Do not be tempted to overfill your tortillas. By the time you get all of your fillings tucked into the wrap you will find you have a very substantial and adequate amount. Overfilling can make them difficult to roll and overly messy to eat.
- I like to use romaine lettuce, but iceberg lettuce is also an excellent choice. You want a lettuce that will stay crisp.
- Drain any seeds and juices from the cherry tomatoes after you have chopped them and pat them dry with some paper towels. You do not want them to be too wet.
- You can use any variety of vegetables to add extra colour, flavour, and texture to the wrap. Today I used chopped cherry tomatoes and chopped red onions. Grated carrot also works very nicely. Just do not use anything too watery, or your wraps will be soggy. I don’t think cucumber works very well in these as it can be incredibly watery.
- You can use either a prepared Ranch Salad Dressing or a Blue Cheese. Some people are not fond of the flavours of Blue Cheese, so Ranch works perfectly well and is quite tasty in its place.
- Do add some cheese. Grated cheddar is nice, and if you are fond of blue cheese, you can use crumbled blue cheese. Do not over-do it. Remember this is a Buffalo Chicken Wrap, not a cheese wrap.
- Try to roll the wraps up as tightly as you can without tearing them. I find what works well for me is to tuck the top and the bottom of the wrap over the filling first and then roll them in from the sides to cover the filling completely.
HOW TO MAKE A BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAP
Shred or chop the chicken and put into a bowl. Add the buffalo sauce and combine both well together, until the chicken is completely coated with the sauce.
Shred your lettuce, peel, and chop your onion, chop your tomatoes (if using) remembering to drain the tomatoes well and pat them dry with paper towels.
Lay out your tortillas on a flat surface. Divide the buffalo chicken between each tortilla, putting it into the centre in a horizonal line and leaving space for folding. Top each with ¼ of the lettuce, chopped tomatoes and red onion.
Drizzle ¼ of the dressing over each. Top with the cheese.
Fold the wraps together to enclose the filling completely.
Cut each wrap in half on the diagonal and serve immediately with your favourite extras and sides!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAPS
We like to enjoy these with either a small salad on the side, or some crisp vegetable sticks for a healthy option. Carrot and cucumber sticks are really nice, but so are crisp raw broccoli florets! You can also serve potato chips with these.
For a heartier option, say for instance if you are wanting to serve these as a main meal instead of a lunch, you could serve them with either a potato or a pasta salad!
These delicious wraps are simply bursting to the hilt with lovely flavours! That combination of spicy chicken with the cool creaminess of the dressing is a combination that is to simply die for! Because they are full of flavour you can easily customise them to your family’s tastes, by using less buffalo sauce if they do not like things too spicy or switching out blue cheese for ranch. I think you will agree that anyway you wrap them, these are destined to become sure-fire family favourites!
Quick to make, filled with flavour and even easier to eat!Print
- 2 cups of cooked shredded or chopped cooked chicken (leftover roast, grilled or rotisserie)
- 1 cup of shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 4 medium sized flour tortillas
- ¼ cup of blue cheese or ranch dressing to drizzle
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes chopped
- 4 TBS finely chopped red onion
- 4 TBS crumbled blue cheese or grated cheddar cheese
- Shred or chop the chicken and put into a bowl. Add the buffalo sauce and combine well together, until the chicken is completely coated with the sauce.
- Lay out your tortillas on a flat surface. Divide the buffalo chicken between each tortilla, putting it into the centre in a horizonal line and leaving space for folding. Top each with ¼ of the lettuce, chopped tomatoes and red onion. Drizzle ¼ of the dressing over each. Top with the cheese and then fold the wraps together to enclose the filling completely.
- Cut each wrap in half on the diagonal and serve immediately with your favourite extras!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Calories: 350
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.