I am sure you have all heard of Hasselback potatoes. Hasselback chicken follows the same delicious premise! So, I chose to teach my beloved readers the chicken recipe, as I found meat more nourishing and wholesome, and this one is tastier! Of course, if you are a vegan, you can always turn this one into a perfect Hasselback potatoes recipe.
Hasselback potatoes are potatoes that have been prepared by cutting deep slits into large baking potatoes at regular intervals, prior to roasting. The deep cuts enable you to season more of the potato, helping you to get tasty flavors right inside the potato.
What is Hasselback Chicken?
Well, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are cut (almost all the way through) at regular intervals and then rubbed with a tasty rub to impart flavor. Then, you fill the cuts with your favorite fillings for even more flavor, and then bake until they are tender and juicy and, oh, so delicious! There is literally no end to the flavor combinations you can come up with to fill your Hasselback Chicken!
I have seen it done with pizza flavors (Italian garlic spice, pepperoni, tomato, and cheese), Cajun (A Cajun rub filled with spicy Pepper Jack cheese and spinach), Mediterranean (Basil, tomato, pesto, and cheese), Cordon Bleu (honey mustard rub, black forest ham, and cheese), Tex Mex (Taco rub, refried beans, jalapenos, onions, and cheese), Buffalo Bacon (Buffalo Sauce rub, filled with crisp bacon and blue cheese, served with a blue cheese dressing drizzle), to name just a few. So, the sky really is the limit with this fantastic recipe!
Also, one thing is for certain, the chicken always ends up tender, juicy, and absolutely filled with unimaginable flavor! Not to mention that there is no such thing as a dry lackluster piece of chicken breast when you are talking Hasselback Chicken!
Today I decided to create Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken. We love Jalapeno Poppers. They are one of our favorite snacks and appetizers. You just know that this was fantastic!
Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken: INGREDIENTS
First of all, most versions of Hasselback Chicken do not have a lengthy list of ingredients. So, for this Jalapeno Popper Version, the ingredients list is also quite simple.
|4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
|1 TBS oil
|½ tsp sweet paprika
|½ tsp fine sea salt
|½ (8-ounce) block of cream cheese
|1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
|4 fresh jalapeno peppers, trimmed and finely diced
Therefore, as you saw, this is pretty basic to any version, boneless skinless chicken, some kind of rub, and your favorite filling!
Best Hasselback Chicken: TIPS & TRICKS
Now, you are sure to have something really tasty to serve your family when you follow my handy hints and tips!
- Whichever recipe you are using to make your chicken, read it through a few times to familiarise yourself with anything you might need, oven temps, equipment, ingredients, etc.
- Also, assemble everything you need on your workspace before you begin. Doing this makes certain that you are less likely to leave anything important out.
- Use a pair of chopsticks placed on either side of the chicken to make sure that you do not cut all the way through the chicken. Also, the cuts should be made no more than ¾ of the way through the chicken at ½ inch intervals. This ensures that your chicken is still connected at the base which is what you need.
- In addition, rub and stuff the chicken in the baking dish. This helps to minimize the mess. Not to mention that they can be difficult to move once filled prior to baking. In contrast, once baked this is not a problem anymore.
- When dealing with jalapeno peppers, wear disposable gloves if you can. However, if you cannot, then wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you finish. The oils which contain all the heat remain on your unwashed skin and you can very easily transfer them to your eyes. This won’t be fun, trust me!
- Additionally, trim and discard the ribs and seeds from the jalapenos. This is where most of the oils are. So, you do not want them to take over the flavor of the dish.
- Last but not least, when microwaving the cream cheese for this filling, make sure you cover it, as it will splatter and make a mess if you do not.
Choosing the Best Ingredients for the Recipe
- Use the best quality ingredients that you can afford. Generally speaking, I use free-range chicken and if I can get cornfed, so much the better. I use the best cheese I can buy and the freshest jalapeno peppers.
- Also, go for LARGE boneless, skinless chicken breasts. These are the easiest to fill.
- Use a good strong cheddar for the filling and grate it yourself. The flavor of a good cheddar is incomparable. Not to mention that you should always grate your own for this recipe. It gives you a far superior and creamier result. However, the cheese brands add things to pre-grated cheeses to help them flow better. Therefore, you do not want this in your chicken!
Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken: STEPS
Well, be prepared to be amazed at just how simple this really is!
First of all, preheat your oven to 375*F. Also, have ready a baking dish large enough to hold your chicken in one layer. Then, mix together the oil, paprika, and sea salt in a small bowl.
Now, slice your chicken breasts crosswise making cuts large enough to stuff but taking care not to cut through all the way to the bottom of the chicken. Then, space the cuts half an inch apart. The easiest way to do this is to place a chopstick on either side of the piece of chicken to use as a guide and barrier. Finally, rub the paprika/salt/oil mixture into your chicken, making sure you get some into the cuts.
Now, it’s time to grate your cheddar cheese using the large holes of a box grater. After you’re ready, just set it aside.
Next, wipe your jalapeno peppers with a damp cloth.
- Trim off the top/stem end.
- Then, slice open and remove the seeds and ribs, discarding them.
- Finely dice the peppers. (Make sure you wash your hands carefully afterward and do NOT touch your eyes! Alternately you can wear disposable gloves.)
- Set them aside.
Now, place your cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover lightly and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir into the cheddar and jalapenos. Also, set the filling aside.
Cooking the Hasselback Chicken Recipe
Place your chicken into the baking dish. Finally, stuff each slit in the chicken with a portion of the cheese mixture.
Now, just bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and the chicken tests as being cooked. The juices should run clear. Finally, serve hot with your favorite sides!
Serving The Hasselback Jalapeno Popper Chicken
There is absolutely nothing boring about the exciting flavors of this version of Hasselback Chicken. It is simply packed with tastiness. So, I do not serve anything that is going to take away from its flavors when serving this version. I always opt for a simple tossed salad along with either a baked potato (or mashed), a simple pasta dish (like macaroni and cheese), or steamed rice. There simply is all kinds of deliciousness going on here, so keeping the sides simple is the order of the day!
NOTES: You can use either full-fat cream cheese or light cream cheese when making this dish. If you are looking for a slightly richer version you can use mascarpone. You will not need to microwave it in that case and the mascarpone is already pretty creamy.
If you think that raw jalapenos are too fiery, feel free to use bell peppers in their place, or you can use pickled jalapenos as well, which tend to be a bit milder. Also, I like to garnish the finished chicken with thin slices of fresh jalapeno!
Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It can easily be reheated (covered) in a moderate oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. (Add a couple of TBS of water to make sure it does not dry out too much.) It also freezes very well. Place in a freezer-friendly airtight container with a lid and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost completely in the refrigerator overnight and reheat as above.
Just look at the colors and textures of this delicious dish. You really cannot get much better than this. It is filled with plenty of flavors, lock stock, and barrel! Your family is always going to be excited when they know that this is on the dinner menu! I guarantee! However, don’t take my word, go try it yourself! After cooking this amazing recipe and serving with your favorite sides, please don’t hesitate to give me your sincere feedback. I’m truly curious what you’ll think about it and all its flavors.
So, we will meet again in the comment section below for any further questions on this recipe and all your thoughts. Also, if you have any curiosity about my cooking techniques, where I purchase my favorite ingredients, or anything else, don’t wait too much for asking me. I’m always happy to share all my secrets with my beloved readers!
Hasselback Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 TBS oil
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ 8-ounce block of cream cheese
- 1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers trimmed and finely diced
- Preheat your oven to 375*F. Have ready a baking dish large enough to hold your chicken in one layer.
- Mix together the oil, paprika and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Slice your chicken breasts crosswise making cuts large enough to stuff but taking care not to cut through all the way to the bottom of the chicken. Space them half an inch apart. The easiest way to do this is to place a chopstick on either side of the piece of chicken to use as a guide and barrier.
- Grate your cheddar cheese using the large holes of a box grater. Set aside.
- Wipe your jalapeno peppers with a damp cloth. Trim off the top/stem end. Slice open and remove the seeds and ribs, discarding. Finely dice. (Make sure you wash your hands carefully afterwards and do NOT touch your eyes! Alternately you can wear disposable gloves.) Set aside.
- Place your cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover lightly and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir in the cheddar and jalapenos. Set aside.
- Place your chicken into the baking dish. Stuff each slit in the chicken with a portion of the cheese mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and the chicken tests as being cooked. The juices should run clear. Serve hot with your favourite sides!
It is always a great idea to treat your family and friends from time to time. And homemade meals are always the best. Besides its affordability, there is nothing that can beat the time and love you pour into the dish in making it. You can always modify the taste of the recipe according to your liking. This is a form of serving your loved ones. I hope you enjoy and love making this recipe.
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.