I wanted to share a mac and cheese recipe with you today. You and your family are going to absolutely fall in love with it. Easy Stove Top Mac and Cheese recipe will forever spoil you from wanting to eat the boxed versions of mac and cheese you buy in stores. Not only does this taste incredibly delicious but there is nothing artificial in this version of Mac and Cheese. Just natural, wholesome ingredients. No preservatives and nothing coloured added.
You can feel good about feeding this to your family. Its wholesome, nutritious, and remarkably simple to make. As easy as cooking some macaroni and stirring a few other ingredients into it. You make it all in one saucepan on the top of the stove.
It is also very quick to make. Aside from the time taken in gathering together all the ingredients to make it, you can have it cooked and ready to serve in about 15 minutes. Slightly longer than the packaged stuff, but when you taste how good this is, you will never be satisfied with the packaged stuff again! I guarantee!
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO COOK THIS EASY STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
You will have to excuse the split photograph of the ingredients required. In the first one I forgot to show you the eggs, and in the second one I neglected to show the macaroni! What can I say? Some days are just like that! In any case it is a simple list of quite ordinary ingredients!
|8 ounces uncooked macaroni (about 2 cups)|
|4 TBS butter|
|2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten|
|6 ounces evaporated milk, undiluted (3/4 cup)|
|½ tsp Tabasco Sauce|
|Fine sea salt & ground black pepper to taste|
|¾ tsp dry mustard powder|
|10 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese grated (about 2 ½ cups)|
HINTS AND TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
- Read through the recipe several times and gather together all of the ingredients you will need for the recipe ahead of time. This will ensure you are familiar with what you need to do and use and will prevent you from messing anything up when you go to prepare it.
- Always grate your own cheese when you are cooking dishes like macaroni and cheese. Pre-grated cheese may be more convenient, but the manufacturers add things to it so that it flows easily. These can quickly and very easily ruin the integrity of a sauce.
- Use the best cheese you can buy. Quality really makes a huge difference to the taste. I use a sharp, un-dyed white cheddar. It tastes phenomenal. It is well aged, and you can taste calcium crystals in it when you cut a piece off to try.
- I use evaporated milk. Not sweetened condensed milk. Evaporated milk is simply milk which has been heat treated to remove some of the water, which condenses it down. This helps to create a rich and beautiful cheese sauce. I use full fat. This is not a recipe where you want to worry about the fat content of anything. In for a penny in for a pound. I guarantee you will not be able to taste the canned milk in the finished dish, but it does contribute an essential property to the richness and creaminess of this dish.
- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you begin.
- Make sure you use a large enough saucepan that the pasta will have plenty of water to cook in. Lightly salt the water and bring it to a full rolling boil before you add the pasta to it.
- Cook your pasta only to the al dente stage according to the package directions. Do not overcook it, or you risk a mushy finish. I set a timer to make sure I don’t go over the edge.
- Drain your macaroni well. It is not necessary to rinse your macaroni after draining it before you return it to the pot.
- Have all of your sauce ingredients whisked together and ready to go by the time your macaroni has cooked. This means have the eggs, milk and seasonings beaten together, your cheese already grated etc.
- Stir, stir, stir. You may think that it is going to end up all lumpy and gloopy but trust me, if you keep stirring it, like magic it will all turn into a beautiful creamy rich sauce.
HOW TO MAKE EASY STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE
Grate your cheese and set it aside. You can use a box grater, grating on the large holes, or you can grate it in a food processor. Either way works well. Set it aside until needed.
Whisk the eggs, evaporated milk, hot sauce, dry mustard powder and seasonings together in a large glass measuring cup until everything is smooth and well mixed together. Set aside.
Cook your macaroni in a large saucepan of lightly salted water just until al dente according to the package directions. Drain well and then return to the saucepan. Add the butter, stirring it in to melt completely and coat the macaroni. Replace the saucepan to a stove top burner over low heat
Start pouring the sauce ingredients that you have whisked together over the hot macaroni and butter. Stir the hot macaroni slowly with the other hand as you pour.
Once you have all of the sauce ingredients in the saucepan begin adding the grated cheese by the handful.
Keep adding the cheese a handful at a time and stirring it into the macaroni to melt until you have added it all in.
Stir, stir, stir and you will be rewarded with a lovely pot of delicious Mac and Cheese. This sauce is rich and tasty with a beautiful texture and consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH EASY STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE
This is a really rich dish so you won’t want to be serving anything too heavy with it. I think it is lovely with a tossed salad on the side and perhaps some crusty bread for mopping up all of that lush sauce. If you wanted to, you could crisp up some bread crumbs by frying some coarse bread crumbs in a bit of butter ahead of time to just sprinkle over the top of each serving.
Children are also very fond of enjoying this with boiled frankfurters on the side. Personally, if I am serving it for supper and not lunch, I like to eat it with salmon patties or fish sticks and pickled beets. It is truly a personal choice! Another best mac and cheese recipe is this campfire mac and cheese. It will soon become a family favourite.
I have chosen to garnish mine with a bit of chopped parsley. This is not necessary, but simply for visual purposes, and so that it would photograph better. Just look at how rich that sauce is. I can assure you that it is incredibly delicious and creamy. This is absolutely a once in a blue moon treat, but what a beautiful treat it is!
Easy Stovetop Mac And Cheese Recipe
This is a recipe my sister shared with me many years ago and it has given my own family a lot of pleasure. Its quick to make, easy and unbelievably delicious!
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 4 TBS butter
- 2 large room temperature free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 ounces evaporated milk, undiluted (3/4 cup)
- ½ tsp Tabasco Sauce
- fine sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ tsp dry mustard powder
- 10 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese grated (about 2 ½ cups)
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce and dry mustard powder. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions just until al dente. Return the macaroni to the saucepan.
- Add the butter, stirring it together with the macaroni to melt and coat it well.
- Stir the milk and egg mixture into the hot buttered pasta.
- Begin adding the grated cheese a handful at a time, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat to low and continue to cook and stir until all of the cheese has been added and the cheese is completely melted. The sauce should have turned smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.