As a much younger woman, I lived just outside of Toronto, Canada. We had access to some of the best bagels in the world when we lived there. My sister in law used to pick them up at a Jewish Bakery near her home by the paper bag full. They were gorgeous served fresh and spread with just cream cheese. Another thing I used to do with them was to make these delicious Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches! My children loved to be able to tuck into one of these in the morning, especially at the weekend. These hearty breakfast sandwiches were a real family and guest favorites!
With a crisp and buttered toasted bagel, rashers of crisp bacon, two eggs and a slice of cheese, these fabulous sandwiches really helped to get our weekends off to a great start! My three sons especially enjoyed them. We went through a stage when they had seemingly hollow legs, and huge appetites! They could polish off at least two of these in one sitting! The girls had daintier appetites! One sandwich was more than ample for them. I am 65 now and one is more than ample for my husband and I to share!
That’s one great thing about these fabulously tasty sandwiches! You can easily make as many or as few as you want, which makes them perfect for any sized family and any sized appetite!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE BAGEL BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
Simple ingredients put together in a delicious way. (note this is per sandwich)
|1 bagel (pick your favourite kind)|
|3 TBS butter, divided|
|2 large free range eggs|
|2 slices of cooked bacon|
|1 slice of cheddar cheese|
|Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
HINTS AND TIPS TO ENSURE SUCCESS
With my hints and tips you can be prepared to enjoy some of the most delicious bagel breakfast sandwiches ever!
- Read through the recipe several times to help familiarise yourself with any ingredients or equipment you might need.
- Assemble all of your ingredients and equipment prior to beginning to cook. This can save you from leaving out anything integral to the recipe.
- Use the freshest ingredients you have available. Fresh bagels. Fresh eggs.
- I always use free-range RSPCA approved eggs because I will not support an industry that is inhumane. I want my eggs to come from happy chickens who have been allowed to wander freely about. At the end of the day the choice is yours to make.
- I like to use a slice of strong cheddar in my sandwich. You can use whichever cheese you prefer. American slices are good, as is Jack cheese. Whichever cheese you choose, make sure it is a cheese that has great melting properties.
- Use a good quality lean streaky bacon without too much fat. I like to cook mine until it is just shy of being crispy and still a bit limp. This is for ease of eating.
- You can use any kind of bagel you enjoy. Onion bagels are nice, as are seeded garlic bagels. Today I used sourdough bagels. Have fun. The only kind I wouldn’t use is cinnamon raisin, but again, that is up to you!
- I like to cut my bagel sandwiches in half to eat, which works perfectly for us as we can really only handle half a bagel a piece.
- You can also wrap and freeze these tasty sandwiches, ready to take out the night before, ready to reheat quickly in the microwave in the morning. If you are freezing them, make sure your bacon is not totally crisp and your eggs are a bit on the runnier side, that way they won’t end up overcooked.
HOW TO MAKE BAGEL BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
There is nothing hard here. If you are making more than one you can work them as an assembly line. You will find that they go together very quickly.
Toast your bagel in a pop up toaster on the bagel setting. Butter the toasted sides with 1 TBS butter and keep warm I a low oven while you cook the eggs.
Heat the remaining TBS of butter in a skillet until it begins to foam.
Break both eggs into the pan.
As soon as the whites are set, break the yolks, and flip the eggs over.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Remember bacon and cheese can both be salty.)
Layer the bacon rashers on top of one of the eggs. Top the bacon with the slice of cheese and then place the remaining egg on top. Leave for a minute or so to melt the cheese.
Transfer to the bagel bottom and place the top of the bagel on top. Serve immediately or wrap and freeze for another time.
HOW TO ENJOY A BAGEL BREAKFAST SANDWICH
These are rather calorific, so unless you are a really active person, these tasty sandwiches are going to be a once in a blue moon treat! Personally, I feel they are a meal in and of itself, not needing anything else on the side. Some people like to enjoy them with a splash of tomato ketchup, others with a splash of HP sauce, and yet others, with a tiny bit of both. If you don’t like bacon, you can use one or two breakfast sausages, fried, and split down the middle.
For the vegetarians you are trying to please, skip the bacon and use some fresh mashed avocado or even guacamole. If you are a really hearty eater have bacon, sausage, and guacamole! Slices of fried ham are also very nice in these sandwiches as is the addition of sliced fresh garden tomatoes.
If you want you can also use Bagel Thins instead of regular thick bagels.
The important thing is to enjoy this sandwich. Whether making it or eating it. This is a hearty and delicious sandwich that is meant to be grabbed with both hands and enjoyed to the fullest.
Sauce or no sauce. Bacon or sausage. Meat or no meat. Tomatoes or mashed avocado. Go with whatever it is that feeds your bliss and enjoy!
- 1 bagel (pick your favourite kind)
- 3 TBS butter, divided
- 2 large free range eggs
- 2 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Toast your bagel in a pop up toaster on the bagel setting. Butter the toasted sides with 1 TBS butter and keep warm while you cook the eggs.
- Heat the remaining TBS of butter in a skillet until it begins to foam. Break both eggs into the pan. As soon as the whites are set, break the yolks, and flip over. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Remember bacon is salty.)
- Layer the bacon rashers on top of one of the eggs. Top with the slice of cheese and then place the remaining egg on top. Leave for a minute or so to melt the cheese.
- Transfer to the bagel bottom and place the top of the bagel on top. Serve immediately or wrap and freeze for another time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 896
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.