Do you like chocolate cake as much as I like chocolate cake? If so, you are going to absolutely fall in love with this Chocolate Ho Ho Cake recipe! This fabulous cake boasts a moist and delicious chocolate cake base, topped with a fluffy vanilla filling and a smooth rich chocolate frosting. What’s not to love about those things?
It might sound complicated, but I can assure you that it is also relatively easy to throw together! Especially when you break it down into three sections and tackle each section, one at a time. You just can’t hurry a Ho Ho Cake!
I always use a boxed mix for the base, but you could use your favorite from scratch chocolate cake recipe. Simply bake it in a 9 X 13 pan. I have seen rolled-up versions of this cake, but this version is much, much easier.
You will need to plan ahead, however, as it does need time to chill and set up in the refrigerator! Once you have it cooled, assembled, and chilling you can relax and sit back, just waiting for the applause!! I guarantee you are going to receive many accolades when you set this down in front of your family or guests!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE HO HO CAKE
I have broken it down into three sections for ease! Trust me there is nothing complicated here.
THE CAKE:[frontend-checklist name=”Chocolate Ho Ho Cake Recipe for the Cake”]
FOR THE FILLING:[frontend-checklist name=”Chocolate Ho Ho Cake Recipe for the Filling”]
FOR THE FROSTING:[frontend-checklist name=”Chocolate Ho Ho Cake Recipe for the Frosting”]
HINTS AND TIPS
If you follow my hints and tips you can be assured of success!
- Read through the recipe several times before beginning to help familiarise yourself with any ingredients, equipment, or techniques you will need.
- Assemble everything you need for each portion of the recipe prior to the beginning. This will help to prevent you from leaving anything integral to the recipe out.
- You do not have to use a cake mix for this recipe. If desired you can use your favorite from-scratch double-layer chocolate cake recipe. It must fit into a 9 X 13-inch pan.
- Make sure your cake is completely cooled before you proceed with the remainder of the recipe. If your cake is warm at the least you risk your filling melting.
- The base of the filling is made by whisking together milk and a half and a half in a saucepan and then cooking it over medium heat until it thickens. You must make sure you whisk it continuously so as to prevent it from becoming lumpy, or sticking to the bottom of the saucepan and burning. It will be very thick.
- If you end up with lumps, use a stick blender to beat them out.
- Cool the base for the filling thoroughly before proceeding. I like to spread it on a plastic wrap-covered plate and then cover it with more plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming. Then I put it into the refrigerator until it is completely chilled.
- I have chosen to use butter in the filling, but you can also use the same amount of white vegetable shortening in its place, which would be more authentic to the flavor of the original Ho Ho Cakes. I prefer to use butter, however.
- Make sure you cream the soft butter and sugar together until thoroughly creamy, light, and fluffy. This helps to melt the sugar and prevents the filling from being granular.
- You may think you will never get the flour paste to beat into the butter mixture, but don’t worry, it works like magic. It will take 3 or 4 minutes of beating on high speed.
- Make sure your cake is thoroughly cold before spreading the filling over top and then place it into the refrigerator to chill while you make the frosting.
- The icing goes together very easily. Just make sure your chocolate chips and butter have cooled to lukewarm before you beat everything together.
- Always sift your icing sugar for the frosting. You don’t want lumps.
- Add the milk and then only use the water if you need it to get the proper consistency. If your icing seems too thin, you can add more icing sugar.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE HO HO CAKE
There is nothing complicated here!
Make the cake according to the package directions, baking it in a 9-15-inch baking pan. Let cool completely.
To make the filling, whisk the flour into half and half in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it becomes very thick. This will take a few minutes. Allow cooling completely.
Spread this mixture onto the cooled cake. (At this point I put it in the refrigerator to chill while I make the frosting.)
In a large bowl, beat together powdered sugar, butter, and melted chocolate until smooth. Here is an easy way to melt chocolate without a microwave! Add milk, boiling water, and vanilla extract and beat for about five minutes until very fluffy.
Spread icing over cream filling.
Place in the refrigerator to set before cutting into squares to serve. Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
WHEN TO SERVE THIS CAKE
This is a delicious cake. It is moist and rich, with an incredibly lush filling and frosting. Its size makes it perfect for occasions when you know you are going to have a houseful of people to feed. Occasions such as Birthdays, Anniversaries, and Holidays! It works great after a light meal like a chicken pasta salad!
Another bonus is that you can completely make and assemble it ahead of time. It lends itself beautifully to this!
Its size also makes it perfect for those occasions when you are asked to bring along a large-sized dessert suitable to feed a crowd. It does cut into 10 nicely sized pieces, but you can also cut it into smaller pieces to easily serve more.
Chocolate Ho Ho Cake is best stored in the refrigerator. Because of the butter, the filling maintains its texture better if kept chilled. You can store and keep any leftovers for up to four days. I do not recommend freezing the cake once it has been filled and topped.
Rich and delicious this cake is destined to become a firm family favorite. Simple to make, with flavors that are sure to please everyone but a dedicated chocolate cake hater! I don’t know too many of those, do you? I just know you and your family are going to love it!
Chocolate Ho Ho Cake Recipe
You will need:
- 1 15 ¼ ounce chocolate cake mix
- The ingredients required as per box instructions
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Make the cake according to the package directions, baking it in a 9 by 15 inch baking pan. Let cool completely.2. To make the filling, whisk the flour into the half and half in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it becomes very thick. This will take a few minutes. Allow to cool completely.3. Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla together for the filling until fluffy. Beat in the cooled flour mixture thoroughly until light and fluffy. Spread this mixture onto the cooled cake. 4. In a large bowl, beat together powdered sugar, butter, and melted chocolate until smooth. Add milk, boiling water and vanilla extract and beat for about five minutes until very fluffy. Spread icing over cream filling.5. Place in the refrigerator to set before cutting into squares to serve. Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
Cakes are always cakes. They are sweet and delicious. But what makes this recipe special is the simplicity you apply to it. For a homemade treat, this dish exceeds your expectations. It is very simple to make yet flavorful. Your family, especially the kids, will surely love this. A dessert that you can serve to any of your guests as well. It is very convenient and affordable to make. Thus, I urge you to try this recipe!
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.