A bowl of creamy mushroom soup is a godsend whenever you want a hearty soul-warming dish that everyone just love. It is also a very quick lunch recipe to pamper your senses and keep you satisfied for hours.
In addition, it is well known in North America as a common type of condensed canned soup. Cream of mushroom soup is often used as a base ingredient in casseroles and comfort foods because of its simplicity and hearty taste.
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe Basics
Some may recommend to use a can of creamy mushroom soup, but the best mushroom soup recipes obviously contain fresh mushrooms. This recipe also leaves little room for mistakes but plenty of space for your cooking creativity to take over.
Not to mention that you will love how easy this is to make! Walking in to the kitchen to throw a few ingredients together, only to come out with a warm creamy bowl of comforting soup in minutes.
Alternatives to this Gluten-Free Mushroom Soup
- Because it is gluten-free, this mushroom creamy soup does not contain any flour or ingredients with carbs as most other soups do. Nevertheless, if the diet is not an issue and you want a thicker, creamier soup, you can add 1 – 2 potatoes to it for a richer texture.
- Most creamy mushroom soup recipes contain milk. Since this is a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup and it needs some heartiness to it, we used only heavy cream and not a drop of milk.
- This recipe also features nutmeg. It is not, however, mandatory, as not many people like it. If you do not have any nutmeg powder in the house, you can do the recipe without it too.
- The best cream of mushroom soup should contain a variety of mushrooms. We recommend a mix of champignon mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, Portobello, porcini, etc. However, if you have only one variety, use those without any stress.
- This recipe requires you to use vegetable broth. You can replace it with chicken broth if you want more flavor and more protein, or with plain water, if you do not have any stock around and want to keep the soup on the low-calorie side of eating.
All in all, I think you will find this to be a very handy recipe to have. It is one which I use quite frequently, and one which my family has always loved. Just imagine that it has been pleasing people in my home for decades now!
Last but not least, I will be super excited to find out what is your opinion on this recipe. Did you enjoy preparing it? What did your family think about it? Did you find it as delicious as we did? Also, if you improved it in any way, please let me know. So, just tell me everything about your experience with the Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe. Not to mention that all your further questions are more than welcome in the comments section!
Last but not least, if you enjoyed this recipe, please, do not hesitate to inspire from these ones too:
- Easy Classic Pork Fried Rice Recipe
- Swiss Steak With Tomato Sauce
- Yummy Hasselback Chicken Recipe
- Easy Rusty Nail Cocktail Recipe
- Vanilla Magic Custard Cake Recipe
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Champignon mushrooms - 2.6 lbs. 1.2 kg, caps and stems, sliced or chopped
- Butter - 1.7 oz. 50 grams
- Heavy cream - 18 oz. 500 grams
- Onions - 2-3 medium or small ones chopped
- Garlic cloves - 4-5 minced
- Vegetable broth/chicken broth/water - 67 fluid oz. 2 liters
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley/dill - 1 tbs chopped
- Thyme sweet paprika powder to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese - 3.5 oz. 100 grams
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- OPTIONAL: 2 medium potatoes peeled, washed, and chopped
- Wash the mushrooms in cold water; [mv_img id="54"]
- Separate the caps from the stems and slice everything; put the mushrooms in a bowl;
- Remove the skin on the onions and chop them; put them in a bowl;
- Remove the skin on the garlic cloves and mince them; put them in another bowl.
- Turn on the stove on low heat.
- Put the pot on the stove, add the butter and stir until melted but not burnt;
- Add the chopped onions in the pot and stir until they get translucent;
- Add the garlic and the mushrooms and stir constantly to sauté everything for 5-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are moist and left plenty of water in the pot; [mv_img id="55"]
- Add the salt, pepper, and herbs/spices to taste;
- Add the vegetable/chicken broth or water and stir; * OPTIONAL: If you use potatoes, put them in the pot at this moment.
- Let the mushroom soup boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms and/or potatoes are soft; [mv_img id="56"]
- Turn off the stove and let the mushroom soup chill for 5 minutes;
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream and stir with a spoon until incorporated;
- Add the grated parmesan and keep stirring;
- With the blender stick on slow-to-medium speed, pasteurize the broth into a creamy mushroom soup;
- Taste the cream and add more salt, pepper, or spices until you get the taste you prefer;
- Put the soup in bowls and decorate with a few slices of fried mushrooms, a few parsley/dill fresh leaves, and a sprinkle of sweet paprika powder.
Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe: Tips and Tricks* As we mentioned in our Keto Pizza Recipe with Mozzarella Crust, mushrooms leave a lot of water behind when they cook. Luckily for you, for this recipe, the more mushroom juices you gather in the pot, the more flavorful the soup becomes. * This recipe requires you to use a blender stick, but in case you don’t have one, a regular blender should do. If you don’t have any of these tools, it’s perfectly fine, you will have a fully textured soup to eat and share with your loved ones. * If your creamy soup is a bit too liquid for your taste, you can thicken it with more grated parmesan or hard cheese of your choice. Enjoy!
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.