If you are looking for a quick and easy cocktail to serve at your next get-together, why not try the Rusty Nail? Supposedly the ultimate with the Cocktail Set, a Rusty Nail is quick and easy to make and, unlike traditional rusty nails, it does not require the administration of a tetanus shot afterwards!
This is a simple cocktail and the ideal choice for anyone who is a lover of good Scotch Whiskey! Don’t forget to bring something to eat as well, like guacamole, for example.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A RUSTY NAIL COCKTAIL
You only need three basic ingredients to make a Rusty Nail.
|2 ounces Drambuie|
|2 ounces Scotch Whiskey|
Drambuie is a sweet, gold-coloured liqueur with a Scotch Whiskey base, accented with the additional flavours of Scottish heather, herbs, honey and spices. It is produced in Scotland and there are no real substitutions for its signature taste!
There is an abundance of whiskeys on the market today but what you want for this is a true Scotch Whiskey. Scotch whiskey is only made in Scotland and has a very distinct smoky flavour which comes about by its being distilled over peat-fuelled fires enabling it to come into contact with the malt.
HINTS AND TIPS TO MAKE A RUSTY NAIL COCKTAIL
With just a few tips you are not far away from making the perfect Rusty Nail!
- Read through and familiarise yourself with everything you need to gather and use to make this cocktail.
- Gather your ingredients, using the best Drambuie and Scotch Whiskey you can afford.
- Make sure you have plenty of ice for use both in the shaker and the glass. Some people prefer a ball of ice in their glass as they say it melts slower, therefore not diluting the cocktail as quickly, allowing you to sip this cocktail at your leisure.
- Avoid over-stirring/shaking. While you want your ingredients to be perfectly mixed and cold, too much agitation in the shaker will over-dilute the drink.
- Make sure you have the proper glasses for this cocktail. Traditionally the “Old-Fashioned” glass is used, which is a short squat glass.
- Make sure your glass is well chilled and filled with lots of ice for serving and perfect chilling.
- Have some garnishes ready to make the drink a bit prettier. Usually a twist of lemon peel is used, but do not be afraid to garnish the drink with stemmed maraschino cherry if you wish.
HOW TO MAKE THE RUSTY NAIL COCKTAIL
Have ready a short glass filled with ice.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the Whiskey and the Drambuie.
Cover the shaker and shake together quickly, without overdoing it, until well chilled and mixed together.
Pour over the ice in the glass. If you like, you can add a maraschino cherry with a stem to garnish or a twist of lemon.
How did the Rusty Nail get is name? Nobody knows for sure. I have heard it said that when it was first created, it had been stirred with a rusty nail. I tend to think that might have been a bit unsanitary and so I think it probably got its name from its beautiful amber colour.
Its name may not be the most appealing name for a cocktail, but one thing is for sure, the Rusty Nail Cocktail is a somewhat mellow, very approachable drink. The sweet honey and heather notes of the Drambuie combine well with the robust flavours of the Scotch, creating a beautiful cocktail that is the perfect blend of slightly sweet, herbal with a note of peat and smoke.
- 2 ounces Drambuie
- 2 ounces Scotch Whiskey
- Have ready a short glass filled with ice. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the Whiskey and the Drambuie. Cover the shaker and shake together quickly without overdoing it until well chilled and mixed together.
- Pour over the ice in the glass. If you like, you can add a maraschino cherry with a stem to garnish or a traditional twist of lemon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.