Are you a fan of easy and tasty recipes like I am? Anything that can save me oodles of work in the kitchen, and yet still present to my family as something delicious that they would love to eat works for me!! Crockpot Chicken Nachos is one such dish! This is a winner/winner chicken dinner!
My family is all huge fans of Tex Mex flavors. Nachos, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, you name it. If it is Tex Mex, they are all over it!
I love Tex Mex as well, and I have to say being able to cook something as delicious as these Chicken Nachos and do it all in the slow cooker makes this a favorite with me and with my family all year round!
This fabulous easy recipe yields deliciously tender and flavourful chicken in a zippy tomato cream sauce, ready to ladle over crisp tortilla chips. Topped with melting cheese and some chopped green onions, they are ready to go. These are wonderful topped with traditional Nacho garnishes for eating. Sliced black olives, chopped peppers, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.
Just name whatever it is you enjoy eating on or with your nachos, and you have a winning combination! These are so delicious I could very easily make myself into a real pig with these! They are just so darned good! They make a great mid-week meal for the family to enjoy, as well as being a simple appetizer/finger-food option for parties, game nights, and other get-togethers!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE CROCKPOT CHICKEN NACHOS
There is nothing too out of the ordinary here. The basic recipe requires quite simple ingredients. If you always keep these things in your larder, freezer, and refrigerator, a tasty meal option is never far away.
SUGGESTED INGREDIENTS TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT CHICKEN NACHOS
HINTS AND TIPS TO MAKE CROCKPOT CHICKEN NACHOS
1. Read through the recipe several times to help familiarise yourself with any ingredients or equipment you may need to make this recipe.
2. Assemble everything you need prior to beginning the recipe. This can help to prevent you from leaving out anything integral to the recipe.
3. I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I find that they lend themselves beautifully to other flavors and this method of cooking. You can use chicken thighs if you wish, but it will take a longer period of time for them to cook. (6 – 8 hours)
4. Use your favourite brand of tomato salsa. You can use a mild or a hot, or even homemade Pico de Gallo. I use a mild salsa myself.
5. You can make your own Taco Seasoning if you would rather not use a packet. To make your own taco seasoning, simply mix together 1 TBS mild chili powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl. This is enough for one recipe of tacos. Store any leftovers in an airtight container where they will keep for up to six months in a dark place.
6. I used a jarred Mexican cheese dip for the queso. It worked very well. You could also use cream cheese if you want something milder.
7. You can make the chicken ahead of time if you wish. Simply reheat gently over low heat when you are ready to serve the nachos.
8. Don’t be afraid to use flavoured Dorito chips in place of the lightly salted tortilla chips. Nacho flavoured ones are nice, as are the Cool Ranch ones.
9. You can use any kind of cheese you wish to top the nachos, but it should be a cheese that will melt easily. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack (if you want a real kick) or a four-cheese Mexican blend all work well. This important thing is that the cheese has plenty of flavor and great melting properties.
10. Any leftovers can be easily used in other recipes as well, such as quesadillas, tacos or as a delicious taco salad topping.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CHICKEN NACHOS
Nothing could be easier.
Spray the crockpot liner with some non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and pour the chicken stock over top. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
Uncover and add 1 ½ cups of the salsa. Recover and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
Uncover. Take two forks and shred the chicken.
Add the remaining salsa along with the Salsa Con Queso. Stir well together. Recover and cook on low for a further 30 to 45 minutes.
Place about a dozen tortilla chips on each person’s plate. Top with a portion of the chicken mixture. Top with grated cheese and serve immediately with your favourite toppings.
Crock Pot Chicken Nachos make the perfect party food. You can leave the chicken and sauce warming in the slow cooker on the hold setting throughout the evening, ready for your guests to help themselves whenever they wish. Just make sure you have plenty of chips and toppings/garnishes at the ready for them to enjoy!
The Chicken Nacho sauce also makes a great topping for baked jacket potatoes! My husband is not fond of tortilla chips, so he enjoys it ladled on top of a baked potato. It goes perfectly!
You can also add your favourite toppings to the chicken topped potatoes as you wish. You can keep it simple with just the cheese and green onions.
Or you can amp things up by using all of the other toppings as well! This is delicious no matter what you choose!
Just look at how deliciously tempting that looks! I feel like I could lick the computer screen but I will restrain myself! Crisp tortilla chips. Spicy, rich, and creamy tender shredded chicken in a lush sauce. Cooling sour cream. The extra cheese and saltiness of the olives and sharpness of the green onions. Tell me you are not tempted to want that right now!
HOW TO STORE THE CHICKEN TOPPING
Feel free to double the amounts and freeze so that you have extra on tap in the freezer for quick and easy supper options in the future
- You can store the cooked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to four days.
- You can freeze the cooked chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw before using.
- To reheat, simply place the chicken and sauce in a saucepan over low heat and gently heat until heated completely through.
One thing is for sure, if you decided to use this as a crowd-pleasing appetiser or as a delicious mid-week supper for the family, everyone is going to be incredibly happy with this fabulously tasty dish! With relatively few ingredients and about 10 or so minutes of preparation you are well on your way to Chicken Nacho heavenly bliss!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups of mild tomato salsa (you can use medium or hot, depending on your tastes)
- 3 TBS Taco seasoning
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Salsa Con Queso
- 1 large bag of lightly salted corn tortilla chips
- 1 (8 ounce) bag of shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Toppings as desired (chopped olives, peppers, green onions, sour cream, etc.)
1. Spray the crockpot liner with some non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and pour the chicken stock over top. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Uncover and add 1 ½ cups of the salsa. Recover and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
2. Uncover. Take two forks and shred the chicken. Add the remaining salsa along with the Salsa Con Queso. Stir well together. Recover and cook on low for a further 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Place about a dozen tortilla chips on each person’s plate. Top with a portion of the chicken mixture. Top with grated cheese and serve immediately with your favourite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409 without optional toppings
Marie Rayner is a retired Chef, freelance writer, recipe developer, food blogger, and Cookbook author. She makes her home in Chester, UK, where she lives with her husband, Todd, and their much beloved English Cocker, Mitzie. Her motto is “Life is far too short to eat bad food,” and her goal is to share delicious and easy recipes which anyone can enjoy and cook in the comfort of their own home.